Sunday, March 28, 2010

Bagua Mandala


Feng Shui - the ancient Chinese art of placement - has come into some popularity as of late. Go to any bookstore and you'll find a dozen or more titles on the subject.

But what exactly is feng shui?

In essence, feng shui is a method of understanding how natural earth energies affect the way we build and experience our world. Different schools of feng shui draw on various references such as local geographic characteristics, compass directions, and constellation configurations. A "bagua, or ba gua" is a compass image displaying the qualities associated with each direction.

Admittedly, I am no great expert on the origins and nuances of feng shui, but since I discovered this art a couple of decades ago, I've increasingly found that the basic laws of feng shui align with my own intuition about placement.

This bagua mandala is a visual tool I created as a personal design resource based as much on my intuition, personal experience, and observation as with any particular school of feng shui.

If you find this image helpful, please feel free to copy and reproduce if for your own personal use.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank You so much for your thoughtful design and sharing of your art. I, too have found that feng shui has meshed nicely with my intuitive way of doing things, though I am a new student to the ancient art. Your bagua has just the right detail I was searching for to aid my study, and the thought and emotion you've put into it are icing on the cake.

Namaste, Deb